April 13, 2012

Intentions

Well, I had planned to make at least one more book.  Unfortunately, my fingertips decided to shed their skin.  One layer at a time.  Not dry, not itchy, just peeling.  So, my fingers are too tender right now to do anything.  Even typing is uncomfortable.  If anyone has any remedies, please let me know.  Anyway, hopefully it will heal soon and I can get back to ... whatever.

April 6, 2012

Here is the book I made for Madeline on the Lego frame.  All the same materials as the yellow one for Gideon. This time I glued the fabric to a piece of paper.  This made it easier to get the wrinkles and bubbles without the glue soaking through the fabric.  Then, I could glue the paper down to the cardboard fairly easily and the corners were more cooperative.
Here is the worst of it.  I didn't glue the spine properly and the first signature separated from the others.  The book isn't going to fall apart.  You can see the cords and threads though.  I'm going to try to glue it and hopefully not ruin the pages.

I think this took 3 or 4 hours to finish (spread out over an evening and the next afternoon).

April 4, 2012

I made a notebook!


As an experiment - after watching many Youtube videos - I decided to make a notebook.  I just used what I had on hand.  Printer paper, silk thread, woven cord, cardboard from a cracker box, scraps of fabric, glue and mod podge.  Most of these items are not exactly what is called for in the instructions so it probably won't last long.  Anyway, halfway through, Gideon decided he wanted it.  He seems to think that if he wants whatever it is I'm working on, then it must magically be finished - right away!  The sweater he is wearing is an example of me giving in (I'll show it on another post).  This time I persevered.  I finished the book and covered it using the steps outlined in the videos.  I'm pretty impressed with myself.  I think I'll make more.

April 2, 2012

I've found a new use for Lego!


In my latest phase - I've been studying bookbinding on Youtube (is that a legitimate study venue?)  Anyway, I did make a book bound with cords following some instructions I found.  It was a thin book, only four signatures of four papers each.  It took me an hour or so to sew it.  After I was finished sewing I thought  "there must be an easier way!"  So I looked around the internet some more and found an italian video that showed the same technique but he had a handy dandy frame thingamagig.  Wonderful!  I had found the easier way, but had no thingamagig.  So, after much thought, I played with some Legos and came up with this.  In the picture, I have finished 6 out of 7 signatures for a notebook that I've promised to Madeline.  While it is not perfect, it has some redeeming qualities that I must mention.
1.  It was free.
2.  It is easy to assemble and dissasemble
3.  It is endlessly adjustable
4.  It's parts can be reused in other projects
5.  It is colourful.
6.  It was 10 times easier to sew the binding with this thing than without it.

So there you have it.  My thingamagig.